The role of the Justice of the Peace (JP) is to act as an independent and objective witness to official or legal documents.
- witness oaths or affidavits
- take statutory declarations and affirmations
- witness signatures
- attest the execution of a document
- certify a true copy of an original document
Here’s how to find one locally:
The Department of Justice and Attorney General
To search The Department of Justice and Attorney General for a local Justice of the Peace, click on their link: https://jp.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/public/welcomePublic.do and enter your postcode in the search bar.
Please note their guidelines:
- JPs on the Register are volunteers. They may not be available at short notice or at all times of the day.
- You must not use the information on the Register to send unsolicited communications, other than those necessary to enable you to make legitimate use of the JP services.
- When seeking the services of a JP, please telephone in advance to make an appointment. It is best to telephone during weekday business hours. If urgent contact on a weekend is necessary, please limit your call to a reasonable time of the day.
Council’s Customer Service Centre offers a JP service, subject to availability. Bookings are required for the service and can be made by calling 9978 4000.
A JP service is also available at Barry O’Keefe Library on Wednesdays only from 12pm to 2pm with no bookings required.
Following advice from the NSW Department of Justice, JPs are unable to witness or verify Enduring Powers of Attorney or Laminated Citizenship Certificates. NSW JPs also cannot witness the execution of international documents for use overseas, including Proof of Life.
For the most up-to-date information visit mosman.nsw.gov.au/residents/resident-services/requiring-the-services-of-a-justice-of-the-peace
North Sydney Council
JP Hours at Stanton Library – tel 02 9936 8400
JP Hours at Council Customer Service – tel 02 9936 8100
Mondays 2pm – 4pm
Tuesdays 2pm – 4pm
Thursdays 2pm – 4pm
For the most up-to-date information visit www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/Council_Meetings/Our_Organisation/Justice_of_the_Peace
When: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Where: Council’s Customer Service Centre,
Ground Level, 31 Victor Street Chatswood NSW 2067, Australia
ph: 02 9777 1000
This service is also available:
- Mondays at Chatswood Library, 12pm-2pm
- Tuesdays at Northbridge Plaza, 10am-12pm
- Tuesdays at West Chatswood Library, 5pm-6pm
- Wednesdays at Chatswood Library, 10am-12pm
- Thursdays at Northbridge Library, 5:30pm-6:30pm
- Thursdays at Artarmon Library, 6pm-7pm
- Saturdays at Chatswood Library, 10am-12pm
Please note: Due to the popularity of this service, you may need to queue to see a JP. Please allow enough time for your visit.
See the website for more: http://www.willoughby.nsw.gov.au/about-council/justice-of-the-peace/
Northern Beaches Council
The Justice of the Peace services in our Libraries has resumed at Dee Why, Forestville, Glen Street, Manly, Mona Vale, and Warringah Mall Libraries. Check the calendar for days and times convenient to you. No bookings are required for this service but we encourage you to call the appropriate library to confirm a volunteer JP is available on the day you plan to visit.
For more information visit www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/library/services/justice-peace-service