One of our most loved local charity events is on Sunday April 7, when the whole family can take to the waters of Balmoral in the name of fighting children’s cancer. Plus, there’ll be celebrity spotting, live music and food stalls to be enjoyed.
The Balmoral Swim is a unique open water swim held within the beauty of Sydney Harbour, making it a safe event for all comers. Whether you are a seasoned veteran or a newcomer to ocean swimming, we have an event for you.
The event is in it’s 29th year and is organised by volunteers, most of whom are members of the Balmoral Beach Club. However the entire local community get behind the event to make it happen.
The Balmoral Swim has raised more than $1,000,000, since 1990 and this year hopes to raise $250,000. The Children’s Cancer Institute is the only independent medical research institute in Australia wholly dedicated to childhood cancer and every dollar received from the government and granting bodies to support direct research costs must be matched with a dollar raised by the community. “By holding this event the Balmoral Swim is helping us undertake the medical research we know will uncover a cure for childhood cancer,” says Children’s Cancer Institute’s Executive Director, Prof Michelle Haber. “Fundraising events like the Balmoral Swim enable us to continue this critical research – and
demonstrate what can be achieved when communities unite for a common cause.”
In 2019, event celebrities and spokespeople include two-time Olympian Elka Whalan, film director Dean Friske and chef Scott Gooding.
There are a few different options for the type of swim individuals or teams can take part in:
1) 1km Around the Island: Perfect for first-time ocean swimmers or for seasoned veterans. A great course set around the island at Balmoral Beach. The race is split between males and females and goes off in waves.
2) 5km Around the Bay: With a limited number of swimmers this is the perfect event to challenge yourself in a safe environment with little chance of waves and currents. This course takes you from the sandy shores of Balmoral towards Chinamans beach and back. The race is split between Elite, Male and Female.
3) 200 Metre Junior Swim: A perfect way to get your children involved in ocean swimming. Open to children 12 years and under, the course is split between girls and boys.
4) Schools Relay Challenge: The Schools Relay Challenge is a community based initiative where schools help raise funds for the Children’s Cancer Institute (CCI), increase awareness of this important cause and importantly have fun participating in an open water swim relay.
5) Corporate Team Challenge: The Corporate Team Challenge is a community based initiative where corporates help raise funds for the Children’s Cancer Institute (CCI), increase awareness of this important cause and importantly have fun participating in the 1km Around the Island swim.
6) Open & Junior Relays: A fun team event for both open and junior swimmers. Teams of 4 compete in a short course relay. The fastest open team will win the HMAS Penguin Shield.
To enter or donate, see https://www.balmoralswim.com.au/